|Ilsa, laid bare for all to see.|
It's been a little while since my last post, but I don't really feel as though I need to update every time I remove a screw, or unplug a connector. Also, it's a little hard to work on the truck every night with the little one and 'husbandly duties' that need attending. I've made decent progress over the last two weeks, removing the bulk of the interior trim. I had a couple of challenges removing the front seats, due to the fact that the screws were totally seized into the floor and I had to bring my impact driver home to get them out. Over all though, the project is moving along quite nicely. I've been spending a lot of time online trying to find good examples of fixed up Ladas for inspiration. I haven't really found any that I thought were particularly my style, but I guess I'll just have to be the first then. One really cool site I found had an old BBC special of three british fellas who got to take a tour of the plant where Ladas are built in Togliatti. The link to it is on Adam Curtis' blog here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2010/10/. The main reason that I decided to tear my beautiful little truck apart in the first place is that it leaked. Not oil, or coolant (okay maybe a little coolant), or brake fluid (a bit of that too), but water. Water has been leaking into my drivers floor ever since I got my first bit of body work done (the windshield). This was a concern because I thought my floor was going to rot out. Not only was I worried about my floor, but the ECU is located very low and I didn't want the harness to short out in the sludge where my feet go. It's also kind of embarrassing going to work as a mechanic and leaving a trail of rusty, wet foot prints from your truck to your bay every morning. Not that I really care anyways (you have to have pretty thick skin to drive a Lada).
|ECU with wiring harness going down into rusty sludge pool|